BLEW ANOTHER FUEL PUMP

2002 Jeep Laredo

2002 Jeep Laredo 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 105000 miles

I have a 2002 jeep grand cherokee special edition with just over 105000 miles on it. 3 days ago I had a new fuel pump put in it, after being told mine was the reasin for having really hard starts. I pick the vechile up and it starts like its brand new. I drive less than 200 miles and while driving all of a sudden I am losing power. My rpms are dropping down to 500. I pull the vechile over and turn it off and turn it back on, it starts right up again. I drive for a few more minutes and again start losing power. Pull over again and rev the engine while in park and the rpms go up to normal. I countine to do this till I finally get home. Did the fuel pump fail again? And if so why? Or is it something else like the regulator?
Nhjeep84

Hi there,

You will have to get the fuel pressure checked, but a failed new pump is not that uncommon.

Mhpautos
Thanks for the reply. So I picked the jeep up and mechanic said the fuel pump failed again. Gave no reason why it would. I drove the vechile for 153 miles and it ran and idled fine. Than while driving it gave an almighty lurch and lost rpms and died AGAIN! Would not start up. Mechanic is now saying that there is a fuel filter outside of tank, which I TOLD HIM THERE WAS but he said there wasent. Could that filter be the reason its dying on me?

Nhjeep84
A very blocked filter may cause this, did he clean the fuel tank when the pump was replaced? This should be done as well.

Mhpautos