THERMOSTAT LEAKAGE

1998 Jeep Laredo

Engine Cooling problem
1998 Jeep Laredo 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 166700 miles

My thermostat housing was leaking so I replaced the thermostat itself and the housing. I cleaned the old gasket off the engine and wiped it clean. I put the new gasket in place and put on a new housing. Both bolts were tightened. With in about 2 minutes of turning engine on, coolant started bubbling out from the edges of the thermostat housing. Then when I shut off the engine it stated squirting.
Can I use silicone to help seal it or is there another underlying problem?
Other parts that were replaced recently are: Harmonic balance pulley, water pump, and several coolant hoses.
Mrcinc2000

Either the tstat is upside down, not allowing proper tightening of the housing, or the intake manifold could be cracked. Pressure tester will expose where the leaks are. Autozone will loan you the tester.

Merlin2021
I called autozone and explained the situation and told them your response and they asked what kind of pressure tester I wanted. Never used one, so I have no clue.

Mrcinc2000
Radiator pressure tester.

Merlin2021