OVERHEATING

1998 Jeep Laredo

Engine Cooling problem
1998 Jeep Laredo 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 151560 miles

I have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 6V 4L.
I just bought and installed a new water pump, thermostat, water tempreture sensor, & serpentine belt yesterday.

When I warm it up and let it idle for about 10-15 minutes. The tempreture gets past 210 degrees F then slowly goes to 260 degrees F and my check gauges light comes on. When I turn the ignition off the pressure from the radiator forces the antifreeze back into my coolent resivor and some of the coolant leaks out of the radiator cap. This have been going on a week ago before I replaced the parts I stated above.

The hose that connects from the radiator to the thermostat housing gets hot and tight when the engine reaches 220-230 degrees F.

I have a new thermostate that opens up at 195 degrees F. Also today I bought a new clutch for my fan because the old one went bad. Now it looks like its going to over heat again. It got up to 245 degrees F after driving it for 15 minutes.
Is it the radiator?

any solutions, please help?

It would be greatly appreciated.
Cednut

Does the auxilary fan (electric) ever come on? You may want to have the radiator flow checked to see if it is obstructive. Also have the cooling system chemical tested for exhaust gasses (blown head gasket)

Jack42
Yes the auxilary fan comes on. About a week ago I put in some stop leak in my radiator because I had a leak under my water pump which I replaced.

Cednut
How can I tell if I have a blown head gasket?

Cednut
Thats what the chemical test is for, it detects exhaust gasses in the cooling system, it isnt 100% but it is close

Jack42
This morning I checked the oil dip stick and it didn't have a milky color to it. Also the coolant resivor contaner is empty. I filled it a little above the add mark last night but it's empty now. Could I have some pressure in my radiator?

Cednut