CHECK GUAGES LIGHT COMES ON AND BATTERY NE

1998 Jeep Laredo

1998 Jeep Laredo 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 10200 miles

Help,
I have replaced the battery, alternator and battery post connection cables. After turning on, the check guages light comes on and the battery indicator needle drops to negative. Sometimes it reverses but most times not. The cars does not stop or cut off and if I cut off the engine it will restart but I am afraid it wont. I have also noticed that when I turn on the windshield wippers the radio changes and the interior lights blink. Help Please

Thank you,
Fredrica
Freddiep

Welcome, I'd have to check charging system voltage. Use digital voltmeter, take reading across battery posts, everything turned off. A full charge is around 12.6 volts. Next, start the vehicle, take a second reading across battery post. The second reading should be higher than the first. If it is the charging system appears to be working. Can't tell about the instrument cluster gages?