HUSBAND'S "DREAM" TRUCK

Jeep J10

We bought my husband's " dream" truck. I personally think it is a rusty green money sucking heap on wheels. : ) Definitely a project truck.
It is a 1983 J-10 Pickup. It has 51,731 for miles on it. And it is a straight 6 manual.
Ok now here is the problem.
We can get it started. But it doesn't staying running. It doesn't idle and stay running. If you don't keep your foot on the gas always. It studders and stalls.
I know I dogged on his truck a few sentences ago. But he is coming home from being overseas in the war. And I would love to surprise him!
I would like to get the issue fixed for him. Or at least get the parts he needs. OR worse case get it to a garage to get it fixed.
But I thought maybe someone might have an idea for me. And that way I may sound like I know what I am talking about if I have to bring it some where to get fixed.
Thank you for your time in reading this!
Mclaughliniv

Since it starts and then dies, look at the carburator, and for vacuum leaks. Start at the choke! Somethin this old's bound to have a bad choke thermostat.

Merlin2021