HAS POROBLEM STARTING SOMETIMES

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 164000 miles

We own a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It has had a problem starting 3 or 4 times over the last 3 months. When it happens the guages go crazy and it ticks constantly, even though the ignition is off and the keys our out of the ignition. The first time ti happened I had the battery and alternator checked and was told both were fine. It did it again today, it would nto start and the guages were waving wildly back and forth and it was makign the ticking sound. If you jump it off while it is doing this it cranks fine. I took it to have the battery and alternator checked again. They could nto check them because the tester was saying to cut the engine off, even though the keys were in my hand at the time. We jumped it off again and I drove it home, cut the ignition off and it was ticking again and guages going nuts. I was going to disconnect the battery so it did nto ruin anything. I grasped the positive terminal and twisted it slightly to get the wrench on it. The ticking stopped immediately and the guages went still. I then got into the car and it cranked immediately. I cant figure this one out.
Hardcharger