FUEL PUMP?

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 219000 miles

My Jeep started cutting out back in July. Thought it was bad gas at first. Done all the treatment stuff and started getting gas else where. Thought it was fixed it. Then it started it again and also would die sometimes. It stopped cutting out and now I will be driving then loose all power. Then it will gain it all back real fast (looses all speed). Sometimes it wont start right away. Then one night it lost power and completly died on me couldnt get it started again. When we went to tow it the next day, the person with me just beat on the gas tank and it started right up. Im being told its my fuel pump but would like to know for sure before I spend all that money on it. Thanks for your help!
Armywife2oo8