JEEP COMANCHE SPARK PROBLEM

1988 Jeep Comanche

1988 Jeep Comanche 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 178000 miles

Was driving my 1988 Jeep Comanche on a rural rd when it stalled out. Unable to start it up again. I have just a small amount of automotive skills(high school auto shop)but I was able to determine that there was no spark getting to the spark plugs.I removed the distributor cap and found that most of ther terminals inside the cap were dark black and were pitted and arc'd. It was a pitch dark night and I only had a weak flashlight but I sanded down and cleaned up the terminals as best I could.I was able to start it up but I only got about 3 mi. Down the road and wasn't able to start it again.I got it towed to my home and the following day replaced the the crank senor switch and was able to get it to start. Starting it now is not a problem but when I accelerate it sputters, or backfires, stalls, and acts as if its out of timing or as if it needs a giant industrial strength ENEMA! I have installed a new distributor cap, rotor, spark plug wires, fuel filter, and fuel pump but it still has the same symtoms. Any clues as to what the problem is?
TL Aguirre

Check the fuel pressure regulator and cam sensor, it sounds like a fuel problem to me

Legitimate007