RUNNING TO RICH AND STALLS GOING UPHILL

1985 Jeep CJ7

1985 Jeep CJ7 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 101000 miles

I bought a non-running jeep that sat for months. The distributor was about 90 degrees out and a lot of new parts were installed but it didn't run. I got it started and did a carb kit. It idles very well. It drives well on level or down hill grades. I believe it is either to rich or bad gas or both. How do I increase the air or decrease the fuel ratio. And why would it run fine except uphill. I adjusted the float a couple times.
Tom U

Did you adjust the detent, or throttle valve cable?
SERVICING - A/T -1985 Jeep Cherokee
Page 1 of 1
TRANSMISSION THROTTLE CABLE/LINKAGE

4-Cylinder Models with 904 Transmission
1. Disconnect throttle control rod spring at carburetor. Raise vehicle. Use throttle control rod spring to hold transmission throttle control lever forward against stop. Hook one end of a spring on throttle control lever and other end on throttle linkage bellcrank bracket attached to converter housing. 2. Lower vehicle. Bloke choke open and set carburetor throttle off fast idle cam. Turn ignition lock to " ON" position to energize solenoid. Open throttle halfway to allow solenoid to lock and return carburetor to idle position. 3. Loosen retaining bolt on throttle control adjusting link. Do not remove spring clip and nylon washer. Pull on end of link to eliminate lash and tighten throttle control rod spring from linkage. Lower vehicle. Install spring on throttle control rod.

6-Cylinder Models with 727 Transmission
1. Disconnect throttle control rod spring. Use spring to hold transmission throttle control lever forward, against stop. Block choke open and release fast idle cam. 2. On carburetors equipped with throttle operated solenoid valve, turn key to " ON" position to energize solenoid. Open throttle halfway to allow solenoid to lock. Return throttle to idle position. 3. Loosen retaining bolt on throttle control adjusting link. DO NOT remove spring clip or nylon washer. Pull on end of link to eliminate lash. Tighten link retaining bolt. Reconnect throttle control rod spring.

6-Cylinder Models with 999 Transmission
1. Disconnect throttle control rod spring. Use spring to hold adjusting link in forward position, against nylon washer. Block choke open and release fast idle cam. 2. Raise vehicle. Loosen both retaining bolts on adjusting link clamp. DO NOT remove spring clip or nylon washer. Use a spare spring to hold transmission throttle lever against forward stop. 3. Push adjusting link to eliminate lash and pull clamp to rear so that bolt in rod bottoms in rear of slot in rod. Tighten forward clamp retaining bolt. 4. Pull throttle control rod to the rear so that bolt in rod bottoms in front of slot and tighten rear retaining bolt. Remove spare spring. Lower vehicle and reconnect throttle control rod spring.

V8 Models
1. Disconnect throttle control rod spring. Use spring to hold transmission throttle valve control lever against forward stop. Block choke open and release fast idle cam. 2. On carburetors equipped with throttle operated solenoid valve, turn key to " ON" position to energize solenoid. Open throttle halfway to allow solenoid to lock. Return throttle to idle position. 3. Loosen retaining bolt on throttle control rod adjusting link. Remove spring clip and slide nylon washer to rear of link. Push on end of link to eliminate lash and tighten retaining bolt. Install nylon washer and spring clip. Reconnect throttle control rod spring.

9/26/2008

Merlin2021