RUNNING TO RICH AND STALLS GOING UPHILL

1985 Jeep CJ7

1985 Jeep CJ7 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 101000 miles

I bought a non-running jeep that sat for months. The distributor was about 90 degrees out and a lot of new parts were installed but it didn't run. I got it started and did a carb kit. It idles very well. It drives well on level or down hill grades. I believe it is either to rich or bad gas or both. How do I increase the air or decrease the fuel ratio. And why would it run fine except uphill. I adjusted the float a couple times.
Tom U

Did you adjust the detent, or throttle valve cable?
S
ERVICING - A/T -1985 Jeep Cherokee
TRANSMISSION THROTTLE CABLE/LINKAGE

6-Cylinder Models
1. Disconnect throttle control rod spring. Use spring to hold transmission throttle control lever forward, against stop. Block choke open and release fast idle cam.

2. On carburetors equipped with throttle operated solenoid valve, turn key to "ON" position to energize solenoid. Open throttle halfway to allow solenoid to lock. Return throttle to idle position.

3. Loosen retaining bolt on throttle control adjusting link. DO NOT remove spring clip or nylon washer. Pull on end of link to eliminate lash. Tighten link retaining bolt. Reconnect throttle control rod spring.

Merlin2021