TORQUE CONVERTER PROBLEMS?

Jeep Cherokee

Ran diagnostics on my 1996 jeep grand cherokee and got a code 37 (torque converter not engaged based on engine speed to vehicle speed detection) along with 2 other minor sensors that have already been repaired.

the situation:

was driving off-road uphill in 4LO when the engine started to die, any increase in throttle position would result in rpms dropping as if the engine were flooding, or dying as if it were in too high a gear. Stopped the car and turned it off to inspect engine after observing check engine light (which turned out to be code 37) and then proceeded to drive again, car worked perfectly after cooling down, but would return to the same problem after about 5 minutes of driving. Oddly the car could idle up the hill, but would try to die only if the throttle was opened.

later, durring freeway driving when accelerating up a hill in 2wd the car would not stay in second gear, rather would attempt to shift down, rpms would hit and then the car would stall, as if the clutch were bouncing in and out. Though this would only happen seldomly, often times the downshift would be perfect and there would be no problem at all (this condition happened more frequently at full open throttle)

finally trying to accellerate from a stopped position the car would be very sluggish and it seemed that torque converter was not engaging fully, only partially as the vehicle crept up to speed, the problem was not noticable after the vehicle was rolling, only while leaving a stopped position, or rolling VERY slowly (1-5 mph)

could this be a valve error? Or am I probably going to have to replace the torque converter or transmission?
or some other thing that I have no idea about? Any help would be appreciated.
Theearthvolta

My opinion, sounds like a vacuum leak.

Demearsjr