SUSPENSION/AXLE PROBLEM?

Jeep Cherokee

My jeep is a 1998 cherokee sport 2.5l turbo diesel with 107000 miles and is right hand drive, my problem is after driving with a heavy load on the rear for around 60 miles, just before reaching home I noticed a hesitation when pulling off from the rear, I would get some slight vibration, I now noticed a dip on the rear right side(about a 1/2 inch) and a lot of rear noise, which I think is from the axle, especially between 45-55 mph, its like a whirring noise, ive just had the rear shocks changed so I dont think its that, any help/ideas would be great. : D
Ianirl

1st, is the sag still evident when empty? If so you may need new springs? 2nd, the noise, is it on accel/decel or is it constant related to speed(meaning does it seem louder @45 or 55 mph? Sounds like something in differential or axle bearings and does it only have the issues turning or going straight? Let me know and maybe I could help narrow it down for you, ok

Retiredauto
Thanks for the replly, the sag is still there when empty, ive had my dad look at it and he says its notting(but he doesnt drive it every day), we also noticed oil I think coming out of the round piece in the middle of the axle, the noise is only when I accelerate, when I lift off the power it goes away, theres no noise when turning except sometimes when I take a sharp turn at low speed it makes a loud clunk.

Ianirl
Sounds like you have a pinion seal leak, also possibly a pinion bearing problem(noise). You need to have a qualified axle tech. Drive and pull differential cover to inspect for damage to ring and pinion and all bearings and gears. The problem will only get worse and do more damage. Make sure you change the fluid in front differential and transfer case also(maintenance) ok. Good luck let me know what they find.

Retiredauto
Thanks for the info

Ianirl