OIL PRESSURE READING PROBLEM

Jeep Cherokee

I have a 1995 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L Automatic, 125,000 miles.

Yesterday I got my oil changed and I noticed on the way into work today that the oil pressure needle is horizontal all the way off the scale. Prior to the oil change the needle move move between 0 and 80. I'm assuming that something got unpluged or the sensor died. I checked the oil and it looks fine.
Daronson

Probably the sending unit should be replaced.

Merlin2021
How hard is that to replace? Do they typically just go bad?

Daronson
How hard is that to replace? Do they typically just go bad?[/Quote: 370644b94b]

Not sure how hard it is to replace, but I've heard that they do in fact go bad. I have the same problem on my '01 XJ. Sometimes it looks more like a tachometer than an oil pressure gauge. It'll move all the way up to 80, back down to 20, and everywhere in between. Other times it's fine. I've heard that it's a common problem with Cherokees.

Cjivan
Usually if it's a small cannister type just an open end wrench and unplug the connector, if it's electronic, then you'll need a socket instead. Yes they do go bad, nothin lasts forever!

Merlin2021
Yes they do go bad, BUT on this engine it is located right beside the oil filter and it is very easy to break it or the connector if using a wrench to remove the filter.

Lostinmars
Don't mean to hijack this post, but I have a similar problem. The pressure reads close to 80 and after a while of driving it will go slightly below halfway. Any ideas? Its been atleast a year since Ive changed the sending unit.

Thanks.

Jpete01