SPORT ELECTRICAL PROBLEM WITH RADIO LOSING POWER

Jeep Cherokee

Hi there. I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport with a strange electrical problem.

Frequently (as little as once every other week, or as often as 3 times a day) the power to my radio cuts out. For example, with the radio on, it will just stop responding. It may either lost power completely, and shut off (all sound, button response, display gone) or get stuck " on" (sound stays on, no button response, display is stuck at whatever was on it at the time). Turning the key off and removing it from the ignition will only cut off the sound from the speakers if the radio is stuck " on". The display will stay on. If the radio is stuck " off" removing the key and putting it back in and turning it on will not power up the radio.

This happens at random times, as well. It may happen while starting up the vehicle. It may happen while driving on the freeway.

The only workaround that I've been able to find is removing the connection from the battery, waiting a few seconds, and returning power. That seems to " reset' the radio problem. That may work for a day, a week, an hour, or 5 minutes. It's completely random.

The only thing I can think of that may have caused the issue is water damage. About a year ago we had some pretty bad flooding. I was stuck in some water that required being towed out. The water was above bottom of the door. I'm not sure if it reached door speaker level. I haven't seen any other electrical issues with the vehicle, other than my aftermarket remote starter quit working. I didn't use it that often, so that never bothered me. The radio, on the other hand, is a big headache.

I haven't done much to fix the problem, however I did replace the battery. Obviously that didn't help.

It seems to be getting worse, however. In the past 7 days, I've had the problem about a dozen times.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Cjivan