BRAKE REPAIR FRAUD?

Jeep Cherokee

I recently took my 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4wd, V6 engine with 120,000 miles to a national brake repair chain to replace my brake pads and machine the rotors. As I expected, the tech gave me a laundry list of urgent matters that required immediate repairs; including the rear assembly leaking, the pistons being oblonged and thus being worn down, the disc hardware having dry boots and a few other issues. I declined all the repairs as I know most of these shops have a policy of selling whatever they can to the customer, when most the time, the work is unecessary and because I wasn't having any issues prior to taking my car in, I simply knew it was about time for new pads.
Anyways, the tech said my brakes would start squeaking because I did not get the repairs and that my drivers-side rear pad could fall of the car at anytime. Of course my brakes began squeaking a day or two after I purchased the pads.

My Question is, why was there no squeaking prior to them working on my car? I know sometimes new pads squeak for a little bit and that built up brake dust can lead to squeaking, and I wouldn't be surprised if the tech added brake dust or failed to lubricate the brakes properly in order to get me back in the shop. Do you think there's any validity to his claims?

Thanks for your help,
Jon Lockhart
Denver, CO
JonL

Jon,
I don't know that I can answer all your thoughts, but I do offer this.
Don't go to chain shops, independent shops or dealer.

Drum brakes are associated with dust squeaks not disc.

Having no issues and having needs are not related. If you assumed you never have needs, you will get caught in a failure of the need you didn't believe.

If the tech pulled the caliper to get a better look at the rears and they are thin, reassembly MAY cause some noise.

Get a second opinion and put your mind to rest.

Are you a practicing DIY. If so comeback with donation we need money to run this website. Me and Mr. Service Writer will get you back on the road as you wish.