ENGINE STALLS INTERMITTENTLY

2004 Jeep Cherokee

2004 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 80000 miles

while driving the engine stalls, and sputers and jerks, the problem is very intermittent, Before the engine stalled there was a check engine light on with a code which was driven for about a year wirh no problems, it had a couple codes of which one was the fuel cap which was replaced with no aid to the light, Recently while on the highway going about 60 mph the engine stalled, I noticed the first time the speedometer went from 60 mph to 40 mph in about a second plus the RPM gauge went down quickly as well, Thre last time it stalled there was a little more than one half of tank of gas the fuel gauge went to empty during the stall and few seconds later the fuel indicated correctly, So far I changed the fuel filter and the spark plugs and cleaned the throttle body
Demcullum

Have you been able to find the problem? My 04 Jeep is doing the same thing.

Dkavanay
Well almost $1,000 later I traded in the Jeep while still having intermittment problems. Luckily for me the problem did not occur when I traded it in. After a local good mechanic did not fix my problem I did bring to the " dreaded delaer" I was first told it was the computer hte PCM that was bad, so I had them to change it. Parts and labor of $420. Then before fixing the problem they did tell me that they need to fix the computer before finding out if there is any ohter problem. Once they changed the PCM they then told it was the fuel pump. Which they wanted another $500 for. So I had my mechanic change the fuel for aprox $300 total. After the fuel pump was changed then I had a new code for Camsahft sensor which
I changed myslef form Autozone for $30. To make a long story short the Jeep still has a mind of its own. My mecanic seems to think the dealer never changed the brains. I think there a an intermittent short circuit. The reason I think that is when the battery is reconncted is the cable sparks alot indicating to me short. Good luck.

Demcullum