HARD ACCELERATION CAUSES DRIVE TRAIN TO

2003 Jeep Cherokee

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
2003 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 116000 miles

I can accelerate from a stop slowly and nothing happens. If I try to accelerate quickly there is a violent thumping/shaking. Coming mainly from either the rearend or the driveshaft. I don't think it is coming form the tranny or transfer case. The rear tires even try to break loose and chip a little. It really reminds me of driving an old hot rod w/ rear leaf springs and you would get rear end hop when doing a burnout.
Jstraitiff

Hi
Take a look at sway bar links and shock mounts. Are shocks O.E.M.? see figure

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/198357_Graphic_457.jpg

Let me know

Docfixit
The sway bar links seemed to have a little play but not much. The shocks had no play. They are origional. None of the other suspension components had any play. I also tried shaking the universal joints at the differential and the transfer case and they felt really stiff. The only thing that seemed to move was the transfer case. When I was shaking the universal joint the transfer case had a lot of side to side motion. I'm not sure if it is supposed to or not. The mount looks like it restricts up and down as well as front to back but not side to side.

Thanks for the feedback.

Jstraitiff
Place a jack under trans/trans case see if it can be jacked up off of mount? If so mount is faulty

Docfixit
Transfer case can't be lifted with jack. Motion is limited to side-to-side.

Jstraitiff
Possible differential problem is diff all cast iron or aluminum center? Does vehicle have TRAC or VARI- LOCK? Had diff fluid ever been changed?

Docfixit
It appears to be all cast iron (pic attached). Build sheet cals out a Dana 35C/194MM Rear Axle, and Selec-Trac Full Time 4WD System. Diff fluid was changed about 25K ago.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/531244_SANY0012_1.jpg

Jstraitiff
Can you have a helper look at rear of Jeep while you acel. And see what is hapening?

Docfixit