OVERHEATING TRANSMISSION

2002 Jeep Cherokee

2002 Jeep Cherokee V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 62000 miles

To make a very long story short, I had the 60,000 mile service done at a local place. They put the wrong filter in the transmission, and it blew on the way home. (2 miles) They " replaced" it with a " new" transmission, and it has overheated and I have had no transmission four times since. I live in the mountains, and it's fine for a few miles in town, but if I go off the mountain and come back up, it overheats. It is now at the Jeep dealer (has been since Tuesday) and I am without a vehicle once again. They can't get it to overheat, but they haven't driven it up the mountain, either. I am sick and tired of not having a car (my only one) and am at my wits' end. Anything I might be able to tell the Jeep people? HELP!
ValerieB

Hi there,

I would be concerned that the external transmission oil cooler is part blocked and may be the cause of some of your troubles.

Mhpautos
Thanks for your reply. They actually flushed out the lines the third time I had it in there. It overheated and it was spilling transmission fluid, and had no power to get over a speed bump. When I took it to Jeep on Tuesday, they found water in the transmission pan, flushed it out, and up the hill I went. What happens is that the transmission shifts really hard and then the Check Engine light comes on. I just wanted to get home, and I barely made it into the middle of the driveway, when it was smoking so badly that I got out for fear it was going to blow up. Jeep can't find any burnt transmission fluid.

ValerieB
Toss in a bottle of Lucas Transmission Fix : )

MarkyZ