112000 MILES LEAKING COOLANT

2002 Jeep Cherokee

For the past few months my car has been leaking coolant, which has to be completely refilled every 8 days. I don't have any puddles under my car when I leave every morning so I'm confused as to where the leak is. Any ideas for locating the leak and for repairing it without spending the customary $1,000 per repair this car has always required?

I replaced the radiator cap about 4 months ago because a mechanic told me the old cap was not holding the pressure so I don't think the leak is there.
Katmeg99

Are you getting any white smoke from the exhaust?
If not do a pressure test on the system, pay attention to leaks from Freeze plugs on the side of the block.

Merlin2021
I confess, I know nothing about cars--what/where are freeze plugs and where is the block? (Yes, I'm female).

I'm not getting any white smoke from the exhaust.

Thank you so much in advance.

Katmeg99
Merlin's right, need to pressure test the system. I asume you're filling it up with coolant when it goes down?

Female has nothing to do with it.....really.

White smoke is an indicator of internal leakage tha is burning. It it isn't going in than it is going out.

Fill the system up and let it idle in the drvieway. HAve the hood open and keeping looking around for signs of the coolant leaking. If you aren't seeing anything going to the ground, it may be burning off.

This isn't a heavy leak so you need to look in areas that are more apt to "seap" or leak slowly. The freeze or expansion plaugs are located through out the block. The block is the very most basic part of the engine. Here is a pic if it helps:

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_block_2.jpg