TURN SIGNALS/HAZARD LIGHTS

1999 Jeep Cherokee

1999 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

When I turn on the left turn signal, the rear(only) hazard flashers also come on(left & right). If I turn the hazard flasher button on and then off again the problem stops(front & rear left signals still work normaly). When I " hold" the left turn signal lever and not " click" it. Front & left signals still work normally. No problem with the right turn signals. I suspect the problem is in the steering column. Any one else ever complain of this?
CSpringer

I have the same problem with my '98 Cherokee. Looking forward to the answer. How much of a donation do you folks need?

Metman2rusty
Neither my local AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts had a new turn signal switch in stock. So I did what any good old Kentucky boy does and fixed mine. The sticker on it said " Assembled in Mexico", but thank God they used four Torx head screws to hold it together.

Not a job recommended for everyone, but I got it apart and cleaned the contacts with dilute HCL acid and then relubed it with dielectric grease. Most of the contact surfaces were corroded with that green goo that gets on copper. Seems to be working fine, for now.

My advice would be to spend the $50 and buy a new switch, but I usually do things the hard way.

Metman2rusty