WON'T START

1998 Jeep Cherokee

1998 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 148000 miles

Hi thanks for the great website. My problem is that when I turn the key in the ignition the dash lights come on and I can hear a single click coming from the passenger area but the car doesn't start. I replaced the starter, checked all fuse's and relays, the battery tests as good, I checked for any loose connections including grounds, and tried to jump start it with no luck. I have a hunch that it has something to do with the the switch on the automatic tranny that only lets it start in park or neutral.I also did try to start it neutral with no success. Any ideas?
Perryj65

So you are saying it does not even turn over? Im not sure if the starter silinoid is on the starter. Like chevy, or firwall like ford. Do you know and have you checked it? You can look at you linkage for the park and nuetral scenario, but that is not my speacialty (neither is spelling) get back to me and we will go from here. Donate for a pro to help, a few bucks will do.

Kevin12881
The siliniod is on the starter thanks for the reply.

Perryj65
If it wont turn over, check for power at the small wire on the starter solenoid with key in crank position, if nothing get back to me and we will go from there

Jack42