VERY STIFF THAT GIVES AN ABRUPT JOL

1998 Jeep Cherokee

Suspension problem
1998 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

Hello. I have a 98 jeep cherokee with 150k on it. When I first bought it 4 years ago it had a slight front end shaking problem when hitting bumps over 65mph, which was immediately fixed when the dealership replaced the steering dampner. However NOW this jeep is so stiff all over when going over the smallest potholes or speed bumps and I am wondering if I can make it a smoother ride by changing either the springs or the shocks. Would changing any one of these things create a smoother transition over potholes and the such? It's like a QUICK violent jolt spread evenly throughout the jeep when driving over these things, not a lingering shake. Please help as we have a little baby due mid july and I don't want to put her in this jeep quite yet! Thank you.
OldBlackJeep