REBUILDING ENGINE - CAN'T CRANK IT OVER

1997 Jeep Cherokee

1997 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 180000 miles

Had to replace a piston (#5) that had broken. Ended up replacing all pistons, timing chain, rings, main bearings and connecting rod bearings.

Before putting the oil pan back on I cranked the engine over - it turned smoothly but not easily. The torque specs for the connecting rod end caps (bearings) were not in the manual but I found them online - 7 -10 ft lbs. Any higher and it won't crank over - any lower and it's too loose. I put the oil pan back on and now I can't get it to crank over. I'm actually stripping the bolt on the harmonic balancer trying to turn it. I take it apart, re-torque and it turns again. But let it sit and it seizes up again. What am I doing wrong? I am using Protex Ultra Slick on the bearings.
Robynhgl