REAR END NOISE, WE CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT.

1997 Jeep Cherokee

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
1997 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 171000 miles

I just purchased this Jeep with the intent of restoring it. When I purchased it, I was told that it needed a new Pinion Bearing in the rear axle. At driving speed there is a loud whine from the back of the Jeep, when we brake the noise gets really loud like a fire truck with sirens blaring pulling up behind you.

A mechanic pulled the differential apart today and replaced both the front and rear pinion bearings. We pulled the gearing out, inspected it, everything looked good. The mechanic stated that he didn't see any shims in the differential though and it had appeared that someone had gotten into the differential prior to this.

After reassembling everything we test drove it, but the noise is still there. We raised the vehicle and put it in drive to see where the sound was coming from, and it is definitely coming from the differential, there is some sort of vibration inside creating the noise.

At this point what guesses do you guys have about the situation? Would you recommend just putting a new rear end on? I really don't want to go through a rebuild on this.
Pilot2969