PISTON REMOVAL

1997 Jeep Cherokee

1997 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 125000 miles

Is it possible to remove a piston from the bottom of the engine? Ie is there enough room between the crank and the bore to disconnect the con rod and withdraw the piston.

A couple of days ago the jeep started its daily trek to the office but was missfiring on one cylinder and there was large amounts of blow by comming out from under the hood. The exhaust was also smoking like crazy - white or grey in colour. (Not the head gasket - first thing I checked)

I've tried a couple of mechanics but the general concencious is to scrap the engine.I think there might be a valve problem because there had been a lot of lifter noise prior to the final breakdown but the pro's think it sounds more like a ring broken.

Either way I'll find out when the snow stops and I dont get soaked in the drive.

I'm tending more toward a cam shaft lobe worn on the exhaust?

Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

Dave
Ireland
DaveLynn