LACK OF ENGINE PERFORMANCE

1994 Jeep Cherokee

1994 Jeep Cherokee V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 156000 miles

MY JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE IS SPUTTERING AT TAKE OFF, IDLES ROUGH, AND STALLS FROM TIME TO TIME. ONCE IT GETS GOING ITS OK BUT WHEN I TRY TO PASS ANOTHER CAR IT SPUTTERS LIKE IT ISNT GETTING ENOUGH FUEL OR SOMETHING. IN THE MORNING WHEN I FIRST START THE CAR IT IDLES FINE BUT ONCE IT GETS WARMED UP THEN IT IDLES ROUGH. THE TIMES WHEN IT STALLS IT TAKES ABOUT 10-15 SECONDS BEFORE I CAN START IT AGAIN. I'VE BEEN DOING THIS PROCESS OF ELIMINATION THING. SO FAR IV CHANGED SPARK PLUG WIRES AND PLUGS, DISTRIBUTOR CAP AND ROTOR, I HAD MY INJECTORS CLEANED, I CHANGED MY THROTTLE BODY, NEW FUEL FILTER, AIR FILTER, I USED SEAFOAM TO HELP CLEAN MY ENGINES INTERNAL COMPARTMENT, AND OXYGEN SENSOR. I CANT FIGURE OUT WHAT IT IS AND I CANT GET A SMOG UNTIL I FIGURE OUT THIS ISSUE. PLEASE HELP THANKS
-RONNIE
RBAISLEY810

Ronnie: It sounds like a bad mass air flow sensor (MAF). However, I can't be sure without knowing if the check engine light has come on and the code if it did.

Let me know. Also, make sure to check for vacuum leaks and make sure it has good fuel pressure and the catylatic converter isn't plugged.

WELL THE ENGINE LIGHT IS NOT ON IVE CHANGED THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER AND CHECKED ALL VACUUM LINES. NOW THE FUEL PRESSURE I HAVEN'T CHECKED BECAUSE I DONT HAVE THE EQUIPMENT TO CHECK IT WITH BUT I GUESS IM GOING TO HAVE PURCHASE IT. BUT BESIDES THAT THE ENGINE LIGHT IS NOT ON.

-RONNIE

RBAISLEY810
Ronnie: Most parts stores will lend or rent the gauge. If you have any nationally recognized parts stores near you, just cakk them and ask if they rent or lend fuel pressure gauge.

Ok I will go first thing in the morning. I was actually going to purchase a new fuel pump because I thought it might have been a potential problem, but I just didnt want to make an unnecessary purchase. So I was hoping to eliminate any other possible problems first. Can you tell me where the mass air flow sensor is? If you dont mind.

-ronnie

RBAISLEY810
It will be part of the air intake to the throttle body.