JEEPGRANDCHEROKEE SHAKES VIOLENTLY WHEN BRAKES APPLIED

1993 Jeep Cherokee

Hi, I have a 1993 jeep grand cherokee laredo 4x4 8 cylinder 5.2 liter with 204,000 miles on it and when I apply the brakes the front end will shake very violently, we cannot figure out what is wrong with it we have tried rotating the tires, replacing the steering dampener, and changing brakes. But nothing seems to stop the shake, and what is even weirder is it doesnt happen everytime I slow down. So if someone could help me out id appreciate it
-thanks
Dgjeepgcl

I've had the same exact thing happen with my '98 Grand Cherokee 6 Cyl 4.0. Don't know why it does it, and just like you it doesn't happen everytime.

DarthMedicus
Changing brakes.
What did you changed?- A warped rotor/s will do that.

Try to find out when it is happening. If it is consisentent when braking from higher speeds when the braking is the most severe and creates the most heat, Raz is right on the rotors. Do you have rear disc brakes or drum brakes?

Also as far as the steerng dampner is concerned, it has to be the heavy duty one not the standard one. I know napa offers both. However you need to find a counterman that is capable of going the extra step to finding it.

My 1999 Jeep grand cherokee V8 it has 155000 miles and it does the same thing it also doesnt happen all the time.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/95595_000_1181_1.jpg

Rico
Is it when braking?

Or

Is it at about 40 mph and higher?

I have a 1996 and have had the same problem. After talking with a guy at work that used to work for crysler he said this was a common problem with front brake calipers wearing and heating up did you change the calipers when you did your brake job? It worked for me. Hope this helps.

Scjeffb