COOLANT TEMP SENSOR

1990 Jeep Cherokee

Engine Cooling problem
1990 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 175000 miles

I recently swapped my 1990 engine with a 1993 engine and had to move the location of the coolant temp sensor and I am wondering if it would read hotter in the new location I am having trouble with it overheating and it has a new thermostat in it
Jimkulesa

It shouldn't change anything unless you used the sending unit that was in the new engine. If you did, it could be sending more power to the gauge and causing it to appear to be overheating. What you need to do is rent or borrow a thermometer designed to read over 250 degrees. When the engine is cool, open the radiator and place the thermometer in the top of the rad and let it heat up. THe temp shouldn't get much above 200 degrees. IF the gauge says it's overheating and the thermometer says 200, you know there is a problem with the sending unit.

Let me know how it works out for you.

Coolent overheating but not leaking from car. Car will only run for a little while before coolent starts bubbleing. Have changed thermostst still have same problem. 1990 jeep cherokee

Chasede