JEEP CHEROKEE TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

1990 Jeep Cherokee

1990 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic

Well ive taken my jeep to a transmission shop and they couldn't tell me but it seem to be wrong with it. The jeep starts off in DRIVE it slowly accelerates with low rpms. But you can shift it to first and second gear and it accelerates just fine along with normal rpms.
Woodylop

Ok it sounds like you transmission isn't down shifting so you are not starting off in 1st gear from a stop. This could be any one of the following. Transmission solenoid, speed sensor, throttle position sensor, brake switch or even the transmision control unit. Is the check engine light on? Have you checked for any codes? Get back to me and we will see what we can do from there.

Racefan966
No the check engine light is not on. And no I have not checked for any codes. But now I have some places to start trouble shooting thank you

Woodylop
What I would do is call around to your local parts stores and see if any will do a free scan and see if there is any codes including pending codes. If there is then write them down and then have it cleared and get back to me with what codes are there and we will see what the Jeep knows. If there is no codes then we can check the TCU. You would need a digital multi meter. Let me know what you find and we will take it from there.

Racefan966