HELP

2002 Jaguar XK8

2002 Jaguar XK8 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 89,000 miles

I have what I think are two different problems. The first has been going on for maybe three years and about 30,000 miles. You can get in the car and try to start it and when you turn the key, nothing happens. No crank, no click, no noise what so ever. Sometimes you might tryu three or four times and then the car will start. Other times you might try fifty times removing the key and reinserting it several times and it might start. Other times you might have to let the car sit for an hour then try again and it might start. I have had it in to the dealer probably six or eight times and they cannot solve the problem.

The second problem is more serious. It started back in July 2008. I'll be driving along and I get a message on the dash that might say " transmission fault, no asc no trac control". Sometimes it will then say " engine in failsafe nmode" and the engine will continue to run but the transmission will not shift when you drive the car. On other occasions the message might also read " engine failed" and the engine just stops running. You can be driving at 40 MPH and the engine just stops running. No power anything. Sometimes you can pull to the side of the road and turn the iginition off and then try to restart it and many times it will restart and the message will clear. Not always though. Sometimes if the car sits for and hour or so, the message will clear and the car will run again. This is a very danferous situation.

I have replaced the TCM (transmission control module) and the ECU (engine control unit). Also the battery and the alternator. I have spent over $5,000.00 on repairs over the last four months and I still have the smae problems today.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing these problems? I'm afraid to drive the car any more. It is just sitting in my garage and I'm lost.

HELP PLEASE!
Rppratt