PRESSURE IN WATER SYSTEM

Jaguar XJS

Hi I bought a jaguar xj sport 3.2 1998 last week the car has travelled 52366 total miles and has had full dealer service history, my problem is after travelling 14 miles the low coolant light came on, the car started to overheat but not near the top off the gauge, I filled the resovoir with about 1liter of water and seemed fine, next day agian coolant light came on and I noticed the water running out the overflow tank in the inner wing, I replaced the thermostat today and it seems ok the temperatuire gauge stays at halfway and the heaters were hot, I drove about 6 miles and the heaters starting goin cold but the temperature gauge stays at halfway. Stopping the car and letting it idle brings the heaters back on, noticed the coolant light on again when it cool; ed down topped it back up but was only minimal, the oil is clean and fresh with no residue atall and the water is clean with no oil or petrol mix there is no reek from the car when im driving so I assume the head gaskets ok, the heater hoses do get firm when hot can you please help me in anyway
many thanks
Niloclinda

Do the heater hoses get HOT when the car has fully warmed up? I think you need a radiator pressure test to find the leak, Plastic recovery tanks are a good place to start!

Merlin2021