COLD START PROBLEM

Jaguar XJ8

Hello can anyone help me before I set fire to my Jag : x

Its a 1998 XJ8 3.2 it recently had a head gasket change and ever since then I have had a problem starting it in the morning, the car will start then cut out, after which it will not start due to engine being flooded, I have to remove the fuel pump fuse, start the car let it burn off fuel, then put fuse back in and it will start on turn of the key.

Any ideas please, my only thought is to find the fuel pump cable and install a switch which will allow me turn off the fuel pump.

One other thing, when I do start the car I get a really strong smell of fuel.
Karawara88

Check the fuel pressure regulator, sometimes if the car backfires it will pop the reg and dump raw fuel into the engine

Jack42
Do you know what the fuel pressure is. When the car starts cold is should be around 35 to 40 psi then come down to 35 at idle. If it is higher it is possibe for the fuel pressure regulator is bad let me know if it helps.

Fstranger302