TRANSMISSION

1999 Jaguar XJ8

1999 Jaguar XJ8 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 97,000 miles

I have a 1999 Jaquar XJ8 with 97,000 miles. Up until a week ago, my car was running fine. One day it began to " jerk" suddenly as I was taking off. The Check Engine and Transmiision Fault light went on and the car accelerated very slowly. The best way to describe the sensation is if I was pulling a heavy trailer. Once I accelerated, the car eventually took off and starting running rather smoothly without any hesitation whatsoever. Upon arriving at a stop sign or red light, I experienced the pulling sensation once again. I'm guessing (hopefully wrong) that I may need a new transmission. Any advice or help that anyone could give me on this would be deeply appreciated.
Juan Gonzalez

HI

The first thing to explain is that your car seems to have gone into Fail safe mode and will only operate in 4th or 5th gear depending on the fault.

It may be worth checking the selector cable for correct fitment but the way forward is to get the transmission codes read and go from there.

There are many faults it could be and by no means does it necessaraly mean a new transmission is needed so beware of anyone automatically saying it does without reading the codes first.

Good luck

stypejack

Stypejack