DEAD BATTERY

1998 Jaguar XJ8

1998 Jaguar XJ8 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 80000 miles

dead battery located in trunk, no trunk key, cigar lighter not working, cannot access trunk through back seat, where do we jump it off or get enough power to get the trunk open by remotes. Please be specific to location to jump. Cannot find a positive cable under the hood.
Slb1

Hello -

To better assist you is your vehicle a XJ-8 Sedan, 8L Sedan or Vanden Plas.

I don't have a pic of your engine bay but you should have a main hook up there. A heavy post with a heavy wire going to it with a cover on it. Many are near the firewall.

You might try putting the ground on a metal part of the engine and then the positive on the heavy wire on the alternator. Do not touch anything else. Just the bolt that he covered heave wire is under. This is the positive then start the car.

What I have done since I can't take responsibility for something going wrong here it does seem logical to put 12 volts right there to start the car then open the trunk.

You can either try it or, I have contacted a couple of other moderators to also advise.

Also, please at least return my answer on the model and maybe I can find something better.

Thanks for the donation

Please let us know if what the final fix was for your car so we can better assist others. Thanks!

Find a car repair manual for your car repair questions.

ImpalaSS
It is just a xj8. Nothing else. There is not a post to jump off of. I do not have the ability to send a picture.

Slb1
You can do it at the battery terminal of the alternator or the starter as you wish

Hello -

I have attached a pic of your alternator with an arrow pointing toward the connector to hook your positive cable to. Then pick an engine bracket to connect the negative to. Try to push the trunk button then. If not working then turn the key to the on position, if not working then start it.

Thanks for the donation

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_alternator_1.jpg

ImpalaSS
ImpalaSS is correct. You should be able to attach your positive jumper cable to the output terminal of the alternator and " back charge" the battery enough for the remote system to work. BUT, do not, I repeat, DO NOT, try to start the car with the jumper cable attached to the alternator. That circuit is not heavy enough to handle the starter load and you will blow something. If need be, let the jumper cables charge the battery for 20 to 30 minuets, remove the cables and then try to start the car. Hope this helps.

James W.
Hello -

I was reviewing previous posts and wanted to provide you with this info. Looks like you may have some recalls on your vehicle. The dealer may fix these for free. Please contact the dealer service department, give them the VIN number of your car and have them check on these to see if they apply to you.

600-03
10/01/2004
Campaign - Engine Breather Scheduled Cleanings

303-27
02/01/2004
Campaign - Power Steering Pump Pulley Bolt Inspection

303-35
04/01/2001
Campaign S479 - ECM Reprogramming for No-Start

303-24
02/01/1998
Campaign - Securing Throttle Cable Adjusting Nut

303-S514
11/01/2004
Recall - Engine Stalls/Cuts Out

NHTSA99V138000
05/27/1999
Recall 99V138000: Automatic Transmission Lock Up

NHTSA98V022000
03/16/1998
Recall 98V022000: Limited Throttle Opening

NHTSA98V022000
02/09/1998
Recall 98V022000: Limited Opening of Throttle

Thanks for the donation

ImpalaSS
Thank you for all your help. I could not get to the alternator but did find a " hot " wire and was able to splice into it and get enough juice to pop the trunk.
I don't know where the Impala SS stiff came from in answers to my question.

Slb1
Hello -

Glad you got the trunk open and we all could help.

Thank you very much for the donation

ImpalaSS