BEARINGS

1992 Jaguar XJ6

Tires and Wheels problem
1992 Jaguar XJ6 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 168000 miles

I recently had my bearings on the front passenger side wheel go completely bad. I purchased new inners and outers to replace them. When taking the hub assembly off of the axle the outer bearing was basically welded to the stub so I had to crack it open with a chisel. (the old outer bearing was on awful tight.. im not sure if the heat welded it to the stub..)

As I went to replace the bearings I had no trouble with getting the inner bearing set on. The outer set (for which I had a problem removing in the first place) will not slide completely over the stub. I have tried to clean what looked like old metal off of the stub with a file but it still won't slide on.

The new bearing seems to be the same size as the old.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/220061_Image1_1.jpg

What should I do to get this thing back together??
Jault01

Ok here are you choices. You can either use emery cloth and keep cleaning till the bearing fits as it should, or the right and better option is to replace the spindle. I would call around to salvage or wrecking yards and locate one. If you have a good wrecking yard and they don't have one they should be able to locate you one.

Racefan966
Thank you!

After looking over the spindle, I noticed that it was begining to strip anyway so I opted to order a new one already pressed into the knuckle.

Alldata is not showing a replacement procedure, just a parts breakdown. Will I be doing this properly if I:

Just have this side of the car off of the ground, or do I need to have the entire front end lifted?

When I replace the knuckle (#3) is it correct to do so by removing the outer tie rod end and then removing (#9) and then (#13) as shown on this parts explosion?
I know to mark the tie rod end to get it back to its original thread... also plan on taking the car for an alignment afterwards.

Thank you so much for your help! All Data is very vague on alot of issues.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/220061_Image1_3.jpg

Jault01
You have to disconnect the outer tie from the knuckle and then use a coil spring tool to compress the coil spring so it don't shoot out at you (this can be dangerous) then remove the upper and lower ball joint and remove the knuckle with spindle. You will need to check and make sure that the dust shield and such don't need to be tranfered from the old or the new. Then when you are done take it to the alignment shop and let them know that you are there because of having to replace the steering knuckle.

Racefan966
One last question

I have everything replaced. The new bearings fit onto the spindle but when I have everything assembled there is play in the front end (where the outer bearings are.)

I am to assume that I should replace the hub, is this a correct assumption? The bearings checked out to be the right size.

Is it possible that the inside of the hub can be that worn?

Jault01
Did you replace the races too or just the bearings? If not then you don't need to replace the hub just put in new races.

Racefan966
Yes, I purchased the entire kit. The races and bearings are all new. Looks like a hub! Thank you again!

Jault01
Yea I would agree. Without seeing the inside of it without the races in it.

Racefan966