ENGINE WHISTLE

2003 Jaguar X-Type

Noises problem
2003 Jaguar X-Type 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 108000 miles

I have a whistling sound coming from my engine. It only started when the weather got colder. If I warm up the car for about 10 minutes, the noise may or may not appear, but if I don't, it is always there and lasts until the car gets warmed up. When I first drive the car, the whistling noise starts about about 30 mph and the whistle goes up in pitch and then down in pitch as soon as I brake to stop. But if I push on the gas and accelerate fast, the noise goes away. The whistling is usually only there the first time I accelerate and the first time I stop, but then usually goes away, but not always. What do you think the problem is?
Mayfield63

I'm assuming the car runs ok, in spite of the whistle. Does it whistle any particular tune? Now I'm being facetious. When you cold start the car does it " whistle" at an idle or only when you 're moving? If may be something in the air intake system. Please advise.

James W.
The car runs fine and it doesn't whistle while idling. Only whistles when I first start driving and get up to 25-30 mph and the first time I brake to stop. Then the whistle usually stops.

Mayfield63
It could be just a belt. Before you take off on a cold start sometime, Take a spray bottle of plain water and spray the fan belts down. If the whistle goes away after a couple of trys, you may just need a belt. Let me know.

James W.
Mayfield, Im having the same problem with my jag, So what ended up being the problem?

Shanon
Sounds like a vacuum leak and as it is affected by braking, I wouls suggest checking the brake booster vacuum one-way valve.

True, vaccum leaks and brake booster valve, very common on x-type.

M3gtr8
If it isn't the one way valve, it could also be the booster front seal between the booster and the master cylinder.

Rivermikerat