CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

1997 Isuzu Trooper

1997 Isuzu Trooper 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 148000 miles

I have a 1997 Isuzu Tropper. I have noticed that the Check Engine Light comes on after driving for about an hours time whether it be on the highway or while I am running errands. When the light comes on it seems that there's a very slight irregularity when the car downs shifts and I also notice a thump kind of noise towards the rear of the car when I come to a stop. I have also noticed that when driving on the highway sometimes the RPM's fluxuate a little bit when the Check Light comes on. I have also noticed on two occations that when I put the car in park the RPM's go above 2000. When I park the car overnight the next morning the light is off and there are no signs of problems and it only comes on with problems stated above after driving for about an hour. I took the car into Pep Boyz for free Check Engine Light Service and the code they pulled up was P0122-TPS. During their attempt to repair, the incompitant mechanics broke of a bolt in the throttle body and said they would charge me extra to have it removed. By the way this is the second time such a problem has occured with Pep Boys. So instead of having their incompitant mechanics do any further damage to my car, I told them forget about doing the repair. The mechanic said that this was not a serious problem, but after my two previous experiences with them I just can trust a single word they say. Please HELP! Thank You.
97tropperhelp

TPS is your throttle body position sensor and it tells your computer where your foot is on the pedal. When this goes bad all kinds of funny things will happen with your vehicle, like the fluctuating of the rpms. Fuel economy will also be effected so you need to have this repaired.

Legitimate007
What about the thump noise?

97tropperhelp
I dont know what you are asking. Do I think the tps is ibad? Yes.

Mastertechtim
Would the bad tps also cause the thump noise I hear when coming to a stop?

97tropperhelp
Does it make the thump sound exactly as the car is downshifting?

Legitimate007
It happens as I come to almost a complete stop. Maybe from second to first gear. But to be honest I'm not sure if it's during downshift or not. Sometimes it seems so and other times not.

97tropperhelp
Oh, that could be either your motor mount or your axle. And it wouldnt hurt to do a tranny service, you know change filter, fluid. A dirty filter can cause this too. My mom has the same problem and she had it for about 10 years, she chooses to leave it the way it is though, I tried to fix it but she doesnt want it done. Keep me posted