4WD

1988 Isuzu Trooper

1988 Isuzu Trooper 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 180000 miles

Hi all,
I'm new here in this forum and have a question to ask.
I've got a Trooper '88, 2.8td, diesel engine 4JB1T, 5 speed manual transmission, manual front hubs, 310000km.
Lately I've experienced problems to shift gear from 4H back to 2H. It takes sometimes 500-1000m of driving after having shifted to 2H until the transfer case finally separates with a terrible noise and a bump that you can feel in your back. I guess I should not do that too many times otherwise something might break inside the gear box. I did already change the transfer case fluid (5W30). Shift lever can be engaged as usual so I’m never entirely sure what transmission mode I have selected. Of course if I make a turn I realize whether it 4H or 2H is engaged. The 5 speed transmission itself works properly.
I don’t want to think of the worst already (worn shift fork/sleeve/gear/hub) and wonder whether someone here does have a clue what I could try.
Regards
MfA
MikefromAustria