WATER DAMAGE

2003 Isuzu Axiom

2003 Isuzu Axiom 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 45,000 miles

I receintly have had engine noise, a knocking sound, and eventially an oil light come on. I added oil and it softened the sound but gradually returned louder till it became a loud banging which increased with speed. I shut it down and had it towed to a garage. I am told that water was sucked up an intake into the engine which caused damage to the engine. He described the sound as berring noise or rod noise and that the engine would have to be replaced! I purchaced the car used this past summer and have put on only about 6000 miles. I have driven it under normal conditions and no water events that stand out in memory. Is this possible? Does insurance or manufacturer or 3 party dealer cover this kind of thing? Is it possible that the car was flood damaged but this problem just showed up now? How do I address this? The garage I towed it to is the dealer who I purchaced the used car from. It's not an Isuzu dealer as there are none in our area. Dazed and confused in Providence
Bobaleem