INGNITION KEY WILL NOT UNLOCK IMMEDIATELY WHEN ENGINE IS TURNED OFF

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee • 54,000 miles

Almost every time I put my Jeep in park and turn the key to turn the engine off, it will not turn all the way so I can pull the key out for a minute or two. I thought maybe it was the key so I tried using my other key but it doesn't make any difference.
Beachmom

The only thing I can think of is either the tumbler or there is a lever that goes from the tumbler to the ignition switch. Try to lube the tumbler to see if that helps. They make a special graphite grease for key cylinders. Most parts stores will have it. Try that first.

I don't think that will fix it. I have to wait til I hear a click to be able to pull the key. It seems like a contact is not being made to unlock the key when the vehicle is shifted to park. The key is easily inserted and taken out easily with not sticking after the click.

Beachmom
Is it the park lock solenoid that is you hear clicking? Basically, can you shift it out of park without depressing the brake before the click is heard?

No. I can't. Someone else suggested that either something sticky got spilled on the gear shift or the the WIN is gone. At 52,000 miles I can't imagine why that would be gone bad already.

Beachmom
That is low mileage. Don't laugh but when this happens, pump the brakes a couple times. The park lock solenoid is actuated by the brake light switch. Something could be sticking there.