INTERMITTENT START PROBLEMS

2001 Infiniti Q45

2001 Infiniti Q45 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 85000 miles

My '01 Infinity Q45 starting about 2 months ago started having intermittent start problems. The first problem was when the ignition key was turned to the start position nothing happened. All warning lights were illuminated as normal. I tuned the key off then tried staring again and the engine started normally. About 2 weeks later I again had the same thing happen. Then last week I tried to start and the engine turned over but did not start. I tried several times and no luck. The next day tried again and it started normally first time.
Finally yesterday I tried starting and it stared normally, but the engine stopped before I had a chance to place the car in gear. I immediately tried staring again and it stared normally.
I suspect that the safety relay that prevents the engine from starting when the car is in gear or perhaps the brake relay that prevents putting the car in gear with the brake depressed is a cause.
Can anybody give me some ideas?
Timjet