TRANSMISSION NOT SHIFTING

2001 Infiniti I30

2001 Infiniti I30 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 145, 00 miles

Daughters car. Sometimes when she drives the car will not change gears. She pulls to side of road and starts from 1st and sometimes it works okay. I don't think it's mechanical. Any help would be appreciated.
Charlielh

Does the check engine light come on? If it does you need to have it scanned and get back to us with the codes. Autozone does it for free

Mastertechtim
Car is throwing codes: P0430 and P0720.
Thanks for the help.

Charlielh
430 is for cat converter and wont affect shifting but the 720 is a shift solenoid problem, my suggestion is to bring it to a transmission shop and tell them what you have to let them know you are already researching it and most likely you will just get away with solenoid replacement

Mastertechtim
I've got the same problem. When the car gets hot (especially on days over 90 degrees) the transmission doesn't shift out of first gear.

If I sit idling with the A/C on, its almost guaranteed to happen. Then I have to wait for the car to cool down before it will shift again.

Fatweasel