ENGINE TEMPERATURE

2005 Infiniti G35

Engine Cooling problem
2005 Infiniti G35 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 52000 miles

As I'm driving, the temperature gauge on my 2005 Infiniti G35 just started to rise and fall from normal to near the top of the gauge, triggering the cooling fans. It doesn't appear to be overheating but it never did this before. Coolant level is correct, serpentine belt is fine, and the water pump is not making any noise.

Bad coolant temp sensor? Thermostat? Any ideas?
Tonymakalinaw

Hello –

To better assist you is your model just the G35 or G35X and what is the engine size in liter and is it the coupe or sedan

Please go to Auto Zone (AZ) or O’Reilly’s (OR) and for FREE they can pull the codes to the car. Most important: Once they check your codes, if they find something and you don’t get it fixed and need to get back with us, please make sure you tell us exactly what the code was, number and all. Example, if the code was E0568 O2 Sensor bad. Then make sure you give us all of that. While there for FREE also they can bring their tester out and check your battery and alternator.

Thank you very much for the donation

Please let us know if what the final fix was for your car so we can better assist others. Thanks!

Find a car repair manual for your car repair questions.

ImpalaSS
My car is a 2005 G35X, sedan, 3.5 litre.

I went to Autozone, there are no codes displayed, everything seems to be okay.

After driving for a while, with the engine hot, I checked under the hood, and noted the following: the coolant in the reservoir is at the proper level, but cold. The upper radiator hose is hot, but the lower one is cold. Very little heat coming out of the vents with the heat turned all the way up.
The temp gauge spikes up close to the top but the car doesn't seem to be overheating. The gauge fluctuates up and down from center to top slowly but frequently.

Any ideas?

Tonymakalinaw
Hello –

You may have a thermostat stuck closed or the water pump may not be working.

The heater hoses – well all the hoses should be the same temp………. Since you only have 52K o the car I would first change the thermostat and the radiator cap then see if that fixes it.

Let me know.

Thank you very much for the donation

ImpalaSS
I checked everything. It was none of the above.

Took it to a mechanic, he simply purged the air out of the cooling system and everything is fine.

Tonymakalinaw
Hello –

That is great to hear. My question is how did the air get in there…. Have you performed recent work on the cooling system.

Thank you very much for the donation

ImpalaSS