OIL CONSUMPTION

2004 Infiniti G35

2004 Infiniti G35 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 60000 miles

I drive a used Infiniti 2004 Coupe six speed manual. I bought it last year and had an oil change 5w30 done immediately after buying it. At an oil change shop mileage 100,000km. I live in Northern Ontario Canada, Sudbury This model is known for oil consumption issues. Out of spec oil ring.
From April to Aug of 2008 the car consumed nearly all 5 litres of oil. It was bone dry at the beginning of Sept of that year. I was horrified. I topped it up with 5 litres of oil and changed the filter. The exhaust tips were greasy with oil when I stuck my finger in them. I then parked it for the winter in Nov and brought it back on the road in April of this year. Every two weeks it was consuming 1 litre of synthethic 5w30 oil.
I went for a road trip 2200km and when I arrived at my destination. I changed my oil at a Nissan dealer with a certified Nissan oil filter. I drove the 2200km back home and the oil was down half a litre. I thought I would have to put in at least 2 litres.
My question is can the proper oil filter have an effect on the operating compression of an engine. I had another oil change since with the proper OEM filter and my oil consumption issues have improved considerably and no sludge in my tailpipes. Am I crazy?
Shilohap