POWER STEERING PUMP

1991 Infiniti G20

Steering problem
1991 Infiniti G20 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 100000 miles

I recently changed the power steering hose (high pressure). All went well. Almost.

A leak quickly developed at the pump connection. The fitting was tight, yet the hose would move (rotate). It turned out that a fitting between the pump and the hose was loose. As there is a pin to prevent rotation of the bango fitting, this meant removing the hose completely (lower/pump connection) to tighten properly.

Upon removal of the thru bolt holding the banjo fitting, an adaptor was still attached to the hose. In addition, a brass " valve" fell from the hole in the pump. It is a Tee shaped cylinder with rings cut into it. It fits into the pump, then a coupling/adaptor holds it in place. This coupling/adaptor is what the bolt for the banjo fitting goes into. Valve-adaptor-hose/bolt.

Finally the question. Which way does the valve go? I quickly developed a leak from the power steering rack, and I think it may be related to that valve. Perhaps if backwards I lose the return path? Help. The dealer I bought the hose from will not return the calls. If I need a new rack, so be it. But I don't want to blow out a new rack due to a bad valve.
KUjj