ENGINE NOISE, ETC.

2003 Infiniti FX

2003 Infiniti FX V8 All Wheel Drive Automatic 91500 miles

This FX45 has run trouble-free since buying it used 3 years ago. While driving at freeway speed (73 mph) a " clattering/knocking" noise could be heard coming from the engine. After stopping and listening, it is coming from the left front (cylinder 1) area of the engine head. No blue smoke frfom exhaust. Infinit said cylinder 1 is not working right. I had added oil and over-filled by 1/2 a quart just prior to the noise, though I thought I had heard it a little before that.

I removed the cam cover and see no broken pieces, etc. If I have to remove the cams, do I need to remove the front cam-drive or does that end of the cam 'tip out' as I lift it from the rear? What do you think. Is this noise from a valve or something else?
James.i