IGNITION/STEERING COLUMN PROBLEM

1996 Ford Explorer • 175,000 miles

After dropping my child off at school, I went to park and shut off the engine. The key free spun and would not shut off the engine. I ended up shutting down the engine by pulling a fuse and disconnecting the battery since the radio stayed on. After some googling, it sounded like the ignition lock cylinder had broken. I removed that and it seemed fine. After putting it back in and as I was turning the key I can see a plastic looking rod sliding up and down. Looking down the steering column I can see a little hole a few inches down and when the key is in the on position I see the continuation of this rod, But when I turn the key off, I see an end of the rod and disappears as I continue to turn the key off. What is the name of this plastic rod and is it possible to replace it? Thanks.
Bob242

You didn't replace the ignition switch you replaced the lock and keyif the rod broke or the switch is bad you'llhave to get the rod at a dealer I think. But check auto parts. It may be just a clip that broke