TRANSMISSION/ENGINE RUMBLING

2008 Hyundai Veracruz

2008 Hyundai Veracruz 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 5000 miles

My veracruz rumbles a lot at low speed. I don't know whether it is the engine or the transmission. When I accelerate fast, the automatic shifts very smoothly. However, when I accelerate slowly or just trying to maintain my speed at exactly 20 mph, or 30 mph or 40 mph, the engine starts to rumble and generates a lot of noise and vibration. At this time, I need to heavily step on gas to make the rumble go away.

I took my car to my dealer. They acknowledged that was a problem and they did a transmission relearn. But the problem was still there. They do not know what to do now.

Thank you very much!
Hoo320

You need to start by having your motor mounts checked. They're designed with rubber cushions in them to absorb the engine vibrations. If the rubber tears or deteriorates, the engine will be supported by metal on metal supports and you'll feel every bump and vibration from the engine. You should have 3 mounts at least. Maybe even 4. You may be able to check them yourself. Open the hood. Get in the car and start it. Put it in gear. Hold the brake(and set the parking brake) and snap the throttle while watching the engine. Does it jump up and do you feel a thump? If not, try it in reverse and see what happens. If nothing is found, repost and we'll try something else.

Jasonray
Thanks for the reply.

I checked the motor mounts, they are tight. They do not jump up.

I suspect the transmission. When it rumbles at low RPM, I can do two things to make it go away.
1. Step on gas.
2. Switch the transmission to manual mode and lower one gear.

Can you look into that?

Hu

Hoo320
The rumble/vibration could be caused by an internal bearing failure. When you put a load on it by giving it gas, the load on the bearing will change and the noise may go away. OR, when you switch it to 'manual' mode, the same could apply. What happens if you just put it in neutral when it happens? Does the noise go away? Will this happen at highway speeds? If so, try that. This will determine where in the transmission the noise is coming from. Repost!

Jasonray
I just tried your advice.
1. If I put it in Neutral, most of the noise goes away. Maybe a little bit was around 1200 RPM. But it was very hard to tell.

2. It does not happen at highway speed.

I played more with the manual mode and I found that there was rumbling at low RPM for all gears.

Is this a problem for transmission or engine.

Hoo320
It sounds like a transmission problem to me. I'm gonna have to recommend taking it to a transmission shop. This is probably not something for a do-it-yourselfer.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Jasonray