IGNITION SWITCH

2003 Hyundai Tiburon

2003 Hyundai Tiburon 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 105000 miles

The key broke off in the ignition switch. A locksmith tried to get the broken key out (switch still in the dash) without success, but not too sure how competent this locksmith was.
1. How do I get the switch out of the dash?
2. Once out, can the broken key be removed by a locksmith?
3. If not, then I will purchase a new lock/switch assembly but can a locksmith fix it so I can use the original key? If not, then I guess I will end up with two keys, one for ignition and another for doors?

Any help you can offer will be appreciated.

updated 3/19/10
This is a Tiburon GT - the ignition is on the dash.
I received you email yesterdsay and I am disappointed. You sent what appears to be a procedure for disassembling the steering column but nothing about removing the ignition switch. You just kept telling me to get a car repair manual( they cost about $100). First of all, the switch isn't in the steering column-it is in the dash next to the steering column. Also, I had asked specific questions that you did not answer.
Richard Lowe

The plastic part of your key has a transponder chip in it, and you will need to either use an original key, or have Hyundai program a new key for you.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
1.Disconnect the negative battery terminal. 2.Remove the air bag module.
3.Loosen the tapping screw and lift up horn pad and remove it. 4.Remove the lock nut and the washer. 5.Pulling the dynamic damper forward, lift it up and remove it.
Fig. 12: Removing Dynamic Damper Courtesy of HYUNDAI MOTOR CO.

6.Install the special tool (09561-11001) and remove the steering wheel.

8.Remove the lower cover.

CAUTION:Do not hammer on the steering wheel to remove it.
Fig. 13: Removing Steering Wheel Courtesy of HYUNDAI MOTOR CO.
7.Remove the steering column lower and upper shrouds.
Fig. 14: Identifying Steering Column Shroud Screws Courtesy of HYUNDAI MOTOR CO.
Fig. 15: Removing Lower Cover Courtesy of HYUNDAI MOTOR CO.
9.Disconnect the connectors and remove the multifunction switch. 10.Remove the mounting bolts and separate ignition switch from steering column.

Page 1 of 1
CAUTION:The SRS system is designed to retain enough power to deploy air bag for about 30 seconds even after battery has been disconnected, so serious injury may result from unintended air bag deployment if service is done on the SRS system immediately after battery cable is disconnected.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_1_65.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_2_54.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_3_43.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_4_20.jpg

Wait 2-3 minutes before tampering with the airbag! Accidental deployment can occur...

Merlin2021
Put a tiny dab of epoxy on the end of the key, (the part in your hand). Put two small strips of paper, one on each side, so they stick out a little past the end of the key. Those strips will go beyond the glue joint and cover 1/8" of the part stuck in the cylinder to prevent the glue from sticking to the cylinder. Make those strips long enough so you can pinch them to the key and force them to slide in. Have a large rubber band ready around the column to hold the key while the epoxy sets. Don't rush it. Let it sit overnight to really harden.

You can also put the strips of paper in first, then slide the key handle in between them if that works better.

Oh, and don't use that key again. : )

caradiodoc

Sorry merlin, didn't see your reply when I started typing.

Never tried this, but sounds like a plan a layman could execute! Good tip cardio!

Merlin2021
If you had MENTIONED it was a GT, I would have looked up a GT, Not a regular Tib? Well I looked at Hyundai info from mitchell andthey show the same info for GT, I will investigate the Hyundai service website for owners, and will post a link you can look up anything about your car at Hyundai, stay tuned!

Merlin2021
Follow my earlier instrution, then after you have the trim panel off, leave the wheel on unless the screw head is on top, then the column would need to be removed, if the screw head is accessible from the bottom, it will look like a smooth head, Hyundai says use a punch they have and punch a groove into the head, then use a screwdriver and remove the retaining screw, remove switch and cylinder.

Merlin2021
I don't understand. I didn't specify it was a GT because your web site didn't offer that choice.

You said to " leave the wheel (steering wheel, I assume) on unless the screw head is on top". I don't know what screw this is. Does it hold the switch assembly to the column or what?

Once the switch assy is removed, can the broken key be extracted (maybe by a locksmith)?
If not, a new switch would have to be installed, but could a locksmith fix it so the original key could be used, or wiould I end up with two keys, one for ignition and one for the doors?

Please clarify.

Richard Lowe
The info I am giving you is to try to make it easy, Remove the under dash panel and LOOK. Ou should see the cylinder piece you want to remove? If you see the screw head, and this head is BLANK, no slot or philips star, then use a chisel and make a notch in it that a screwdriver will fit into, remove the screw, then the cylnder, unplug the connector, and take the whole thing with your VIN to Hyundai, they will cut a blank and program the chip and remove the broken piece. Or if it starts, drive to Hyundai or an expierinced locksmith, and let them do the entire job. This is all the advice I can provide, this is what the Hyundai manual says to do.

Merlin2021
I found this because the same thing just happened to my 03 Tiburon GT.
But the 03 Tiburon does NOT have a chip in the key. When I bought mine it didn't have the original key, just a copy. And I recently just had 2 more copies made.
I hope I can remove the switch without removing the column

HearseHaunter
Do you have a remote starter?

Merlin2021