, RUNNING ROUGH

1997 Hyundai Tiburon

1997 Hyundai Tiburon 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 157000 miles

Recently, my 1997 Hyundai Tiburon overheated and we found out it was a crack in the radiator. A friend and I replaced it and it ran perfectly fine for about a week. This morning, when I came out to my car to go to work, I started it up and it was running extremely rough. I ran it for about 30 seconds and as I was about to shut it off, the check engine light came on. I got out, checked hoses, cables, and fluid levels and everything looked fine. I got back in my car and started it up and it ran normal, but the check engine light was still on. Having no choice, I drove it to work and parked it. Aside from the light, it had no problems. I got off work and came out and started it up, Rough again. I shut it off, checked under the hood and again found nothing. I started it back up and this time it ran rough for about 5 seconds and then started running normal. I drove it home and parked it and checked everything. Except for the check engine light still being on, it seems to run fine on the 2nd startup each time. Is there any way that this problem could be linked to my new radiator, or am I looking at something much worse?
Vampfiend687

I doubt the radiator had anything to do with this unless you blew a head gasket, and it doesn't sound like it.

Since the light is on, there will be a code stored in the computer that will identify where the problem is from. Take the car to a nationally recognized parts store and have them scan the computer for trouble codes. Most will do it for free. THen, you will know where the problem is coming from.

Let me know what you find.

JOe

Theank you for the reply, the next day, I stopped at schucks on my way home, my best friend works there and he scanned my car. Apparently there was some dirt or something in the distributor causing it to have problems firing 1 cylinder. We took it off and cleaned it and haven't had any problems yet. (Crosses fingers)

Vampfiend687
THat was an easy fix! I'm glad you got it fixed. Let us know if you have questions in the future.