MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR

2003 Hyundai Sonata

Computer problem
2003 Hyundai Sonata 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 70000 miles

coincidence?
my husband replaced our very dirty air filter before a tip to the city yesterday. 30 miles later the check engine light came on. Since I had just paid $800 to have a sensor replaced 2 months ago, we decided to stop at the Hyundai dealer and have it checked out. They said a different sensor, the mass air flow sensor had failed, and that they could fix it right away. When I mentioned the air filter change, the mechanic assured me that it could not have anything to do with the sensor reading. Since we had to haul the car on a flatbed for 75 miles last time a sensor failed, we went ahead and got it serviced.
today I checked with a local mechanic, who said the two (air filter change and maf sensor) are definitely related, a and the sensor could have been temporarily freaked out by the change in air flow; that we should have reset the check engine light, and it may have very well been been fine. Coincidence or did I through $500 away?
Plainmags